Home Maintenance Tips for Newbie Homeowners
Homeownership is an exciting experience, especially for new homeowners. Use these tips to keep your new property in tip-top shape and to help avoid costly repairs down the road.
• As the saying goes, prevention is better than cure. So before you close the deal on your new home, be sure to request a complete inspection and help avoid expensive repairs from sneaking up on you.
• Trim branches and inspect above your roof. Weak branches can cause significant damage to your roof and could even pose a safety issue if they fall on power lines or fall through the roof.
• An HVAC unit that conks out during a hot summer or a cold winter is a major inconvenience and could be unsafe if it happens during severe weather. Call a trusted HVAC contractor to perform maintenance tasks to keep your HVAC unit in perfect working condition all year round.
• Gutters control the flow of rainwater on your house and protect your roof, siding, and foundation, so you'll want to keep them clear. Clogged gutters can eventually cause a leaky roof and allow water to infiltrate your house.
• Check your smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detectors and change their batteries once a year.